I’m not sure when the tradition of the New Year’s resolution came into being. Lia Steakley, Seattle-based journalist and the author of Dream It. List It. Do It! traces the custom back to 2000 BC in her article, History of New Year’s Resolutions, “… when Babylonians … marked the beginning of a New Year by paying off debts and returning borrowed goods. The practice carried over into Roman times with worshippers offering resolutions of good conduct to a double-faced deity named Janus, the god of beginnings and endings.”
The Pen Warriors think the time has come for resolutions that go beyond individual problems. Since the end-of-the-world Mayan Calendar prediction has fizzled out with all the fanfare of Y2K, and Earthlings have another chance to get it right, we’d like to affirm a more positive vision of the future. So on the spirit of the view of the future expressed at PlanetPapp.com, “… it is time for humanity to awaken into a true partnership with each other, with the Earth, and the Cosmos …”, the Pen Warriors have created their own 2013.
Here, in reverse order, with sincerity and a little tongue-in-cheek, we present:
The Pen Warriors Top 11 ideas for a better world in 2013:
- 11: All pre-formed plastic packaging will come with appropriate power tools.
- 10: Every child will have the right to a quality education.
- 9: No poop-filled bags will lie in the street waiting for the bag-fairy to pick them up.
- 8: Each day, every Earthling will substitute a loving thought for a critical one.
- 7: Sufficient stores of donated blood to prepare for the coming zombie apocalypse will be willingly donated.
- 6: Opposing political parties will cooperate to fix the world’s problems, and stop pointing accusing fingers at one other.
- 5: Every person around the world will go to bed each night knowing they are loved.
- 4: Politicians will listen to Rick Mercer’s Rants!
- 3: The organ donation system will change to an opt-out plan.
- 2: No child – anywhere – will go to bed hungry.
- And finally, number 1:
Love will trump guns throughout the world!
On this last day of 2012, the Pen Warriors wish each and every one of you a creative, productive 2013 filled with friends, family, good stories, and love.